For posts prior to August 2011 please go to www.jessiepc.blogspot.com

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thieves in Buenos Aires


Thieves in Buenos Aires

Kevin and I got home from Portland on Wednesday, January 2 and turned right back around for our first business trip of the year. Our first destination was Baltimore, Maryland. We flew to Baltimore on Friday January 4 and arrived around 6:30pm. We collected our bags, picked up our rental car and drove to my friend Lucy’s house. Lucy is a great friend of mine from high school and she lives about 15 minutes from the Baltimore airport. We saw her and her kids in July, but this time we got to see the whole family (mom, dad, and her husband)! We didn’t stay too long, but it was so great to see everyone! We got to the hotel around 10pm and went down to the lobby to grab a bite to eat. We fell asleep around midnight.

We went to the ship around 9am and were finished with work around 11am. We arranged a late check out and didn’t have to leave the hotel until 2pm. We found a pub called The Pickle Pub and had a delicious lunch. We went back to the hotel to shower and pack before heading to the airport. That evening we flew to Buenos Aires! We used a few upgrade certificates to upgrade to First Class from Baltimore to Miami and arrived in Miami around 8pm. We had a 4-hour layover in Miami and flew to Buenos Aires around midnight. We slept through most of the flight and landed around 11:30am on Sunday, January 6. We got to the hotel around 1pm and went straight up to our room. We changed into our pool gear and grabbed a quick bite to eat at the pool before taking a short nap. We found a Parilla (Argentinian Steakhouse) right across the street from the hotel so we went out for dinner around 10pm. The food was AMAZING! I had a steak with Gruyere cream sauce and Kevin had a steak with a peppercorn sauce. They were fantastic! We also enjoyed a great bottle of Malbec with our dinner! We fell asleep around 1am.

Welcome to Argentina!

 The restaurant where we ate dinner.

We woke up on Monday around 1pm and decided to go out shopping on Florida Street. Florida Street is a pretty big tourist attraction filled with tourist shops, malls and restaurants. We have been there many times before but none of the visits were nearly as memorable as this one. While we were walking around, I became the victim of pickpocketing! It happened so fast and I am still re-playing the moment in my head. The thief got away with my iPhone! Looking back on the moment, we are lucky that it was just a phone and not any form of ID, credit card, or money, but it is still devastating and a pain in the butt to “fix.”

Here’s how it all went down: I had my phone in an outside pocket of my purse without a zipper – a mistake that I was aware of before the phone was even taken. I checked the pocket to see if the phone was still there, because I must have had a sense of what was to come, and told myself to move it to a different pocket (with a zipper). For some reason at that moment I didn’t act on the thought and we continued walking – ironically, right past some local police officers. About 30 seconds later, while we were crossing a major intersection with lots of people around, I went back into the same pocket to move the phone and it was gone, just like that! I felt nothing! I told Kevin my phone was gone and I think for a quick minute he thought I was joking. We started pacing the area trying to see if we could catch anything suspicious, but it was useless. These thieves are clever! We called Kevin’s parents to have them try to lock the phone but they were not home, so we found the closest hotel to use their computer. Within 15 minutes of the incident the phone was set to erase as soon as someone tried to access the internet. The problem we faced was that the phone was in Airplane mode. I keep my phone in this mode when we travel so I don’t get charged for incoming phone calls, but it ended up being a real problem. I also didn’t have a passcode on the phone, so anything stored on the phone, that doesn’t require internet access, was accessible to these jerks! Basically, because the phone was in Airplane mode, none of the messages we sent to lock and erase the phone would be sent until someone tries to access the internet. It is my hope that these people don’t want the personal information but just want the device to restore back to the factory settings and re-sell it. To be safe, Kevin and I went back to our hotel to deal with the aftermath. We called AT&T to suspend the service on the phone and changed any necessary passwords. To this day, the phone has still not been erased.

Needless to say, after the excitement of the day, we were not too keen on going back out. Instead, we hung out at the hotel and crocheted some hats. We enjoyed our dinner the night before so much that we decided to go back again. It was close to the hotel, comfortable, and delicious. We ended up ordering the exact same dinner plus Proveletta (grilled Provolone cheese with olive oil and oregano). It was nice to get out of the hotel and get our mind off of the situation, as much as possible. I had a very hard time falling asleep that night as I re-played the situation over and over again in my head, but eventually drifted off.

The best empanada I have ever had!

Delicious Proveletta

The steaks are so simple, but so delicious!

Can't go wrong with a local Malbec.

We woke up around noon on Tuesday and went to the port around 1pm. When we got to the port, the ship was not there yet. It was scheduled to arrive at noon, but was not actually arriving until 4pm. We went back to the hotel and changed into our pool gear again. We ate lunch at the pool and then went back up to the room. We saw the ship pull in to the port around 3pm, so we went back to the port around 4:30pm. We were finished with work around 7:30pm and went back to the hotel. We ate dinner at the same Parilla and then packed our bags. 

Slow cooking the meat! 

Our flight left at 11am on Wednesday and we could not wait to get out of Argentina! The steaks and wine were wonderful, but we were not sad to leave! As we were leaving I felt like I was having a panic attack. The reality that we were leaving and my phone was not set in. I was very anxious and just couldn’t wait to get back to the States to deal with the situation!

We flew 9 hours from Buenos Aires to Miami, had a 4-hour layover in Miami and then flew to Tampa. We got to Tampa around 11:30pm and went to get our rental car. There was one person working at the rental car facility and there were about 10 people in front of us in line. It took over an hour to get our car and we did not leave with our rental car until 1:15am! By the time we got settled at our hotel it was 2:30am! Fortunately there was a gas station near the hotel with a Subway so we were able to get some food, but it was a crazy night!

We got to the ship around 10:45am on Thursday and were done with work around 1pm. The main goal for the day was to get a new phone, so we drove to a large shopping center with an Apple store to see what my options were. We ate lunch at an English Pub first and then proceeded to the AT&T store - we figured that was a better starting point than the Apple store. The news was as we expected…I could get a new phone, but it wouldn’t be cheap. We weighed all of our options and decided to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I had to sign a new 2-year contract to get any phone and the price difference between an iPhone 4s (which is what I had) and the iPhone 5, was not as much as I expected. If I was going to be “stuck” with this new phone for another 2-years, it only made sense to get the newest model. We signed all the paperwork and added an insurance plan and then went over to Best Buy to get a new case and screen protector. I felt a little more at ease having a new phone, but was still so frustrated with the situation. We spent the rest of the day at the hotel getting the new phone updated. I got a new computer for Christmas, and had not backed up the old phone to the new computer, so I got to start from scratch! We picked up Taco Bell for dinner and fell asleep around 11pm.

On Friday we flew from Tampa to JFK and JFK to Barcelona. We were upgraded to First Class from Tampa to JFK and sat in an exit row from JFK to Barcelona. We arrived in Barcelona around 10:30am on Saturday January 12. We were unable to check-in to the hotel at that point in time so we dropped off our bags and walked around Las Ramblas for a few hours. We went to the Boqueria and went into sensory overload. This is a market full of fresh fruit, veggies, and meat. It is a very cool experience, but if you are sensitive to smells it may not be the best place to visit. We walked down to the end of the Rambla and then went to eat lunch at Flaherty’s, our favorite pub! We were able to check-in to our room at 2pm and we proceeded to nap until about 8:00pm. We went back to the pub at 10pm to watch the Broncos/Ravens game. I was so excited that they were showing the game, although I was very disappointed with the result of the game. Because the game went into double overtime, we closed down the bar. We almost didn’t get to see the end of the game because the bar was closing. We went back to the hotel at 3am and fell asleep around 4am!

Welcome to Barcelona!

The Boqueria

A candy stand in the boqueria. I love the colors in this photo!

Christopher Colon (Columbus) Statue at the end of Las Ramblas.

We woke up on Sunday at 2pm! We went to the pub for Sunday Roast and then walked around Las Ramblas. We walked over to the Cathedral and then went back to the hotel. We watched a movie and crocheted some hats and then had McDonald’s for dinner around 11pm.

The beautiful Cathedral in Barcelona.

Some of the hats we made on this trip!

We went to the ship at 10am on Monday and worked until about 2pm. We ate lunch on the ship and then went back to the hotel. We took another nap and woke up around 7:30. We went back to the pub for a quick bite and then packed our bags. We had a hard time falling asleep and only slept for about 2 hours before we left the hotel at 5:30am.

We finally flew home on Tuesday January 15. The incident in Buenos Aires really put a damper in the rest of our trip. We spent a lot of time sleeping, watching movies, and crocheting hats. We made almost 40 new hats in 12 days, so I guess something good came out of the unfortunate situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment